The 4th Regional Training Workshop of the project “Enhancing Effective Participation in Codex Activities in ASEAN Countries” was finished successfully in Tokyo, Japan from 8 to 11 September 2015. The Regional Training Workshop was organized by FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific in collaboration with Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) of Japan and European Commission.
The main objectives of the regional training workshop were to provide participants with:
1) an enhanced knowledge of structure and functioning of Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) including its history and objectives, procedures for elaboration of Codex standards, Codex documentations and how to use the online tools
2) an enhanced understanding of the impact of Codex standards on international trade
3) training on development of regional/national positions
4) up-to-date information on the result of the 38th CAC
5) simulated training through mock sessions to enhance participants capacity to contribute effectively to Codex work
The training workshop consisted of lectures, case study, group work (mock training session) and field trip to a milk processing plant. The lectures covered an overview of the structure and functioning of CAC and the results of the 38th CAC focusing on key issues of interest to ASEAN countries. The case study enabled participants to enhance the capacity to develop regional or national positions. The mock training session simulating a commodity committee enabled participants to enhance the capacity to develop regional or national positions and contribute more effectively to future Codex work.
The field tour was planned on the final day of the workshop. The location was as follows:
Ebina Plant of MEGMILK SNOW BRAND Co., Ltd.
5-26-1 Nakashinden, Ebina, Kanagawa, Japan
The workshop venue was as follows:
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
2-2-1 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Agenda (incl. Presentation Handouts Link)
List of Participants
Logistic Note for Participants