The 2nd National Training Course of the project “Strengthening Food Safety Standard Setting and Enhancing Effective Participation in Codex Activities in Lao PDR” was finished successfully in Vientiane, Lao PDR from 27 to 29 June 2016. The National Training Course was organized by FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific in collaboration with Ministry of Health of Lao PDR.
The general objective of the training course was to enhance capacity for food safety standards setting including contributing to Codex standards work. Specific objectives of this training course were as follows:
1) Enhanced understanding of the structure and function of Codex Alimentarius Commission in relation to SPS/TBT Agreements and elaboration of Codex standards
2) Enhanced knowledge of the basic concept of Codex risk analysis framework and its link to standard development and data collection and utilization
3) Enhanced understanding of strengthened National Codex Contact Committee
4) Enhanced knowledge about effective participation in Codex activities
5) Draft road map for improving standard development activities and strengthening Codex activities
The training course methodology consisted of lectures, sharing of other country experiences followed by discussions and group work.
Agenda (incl. Presentation Handout Link)